Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Project - 'I Am Change'

A moment of former film-student geekery, if you please; when Coppola made One From The Heart remotely, everyone thought he was nuts. He allegedly directed the film from inside a trailer away from the action, watching everything on a video feed and cutting scenes on the fly. He believed that instant feedback video and online editing was the future of cinema (this was in the early 1980s, incidentally) and some Academy award winning film in the future would be directed by a 12yr old girl with a camcorder.

He didn't predict YouTube exactly  (although a few people suggest that he did), but the idea that the technology would eventually put consumer/amateurs on par with studios to create a workable product was dead on. I was still cutting 8mm film by hand in my first year of film school (1988), and had use of a broadcast-quality Betacam if I signed it out and left a damage deposit. Even in adjusted dollars, that damage deposit could buy me a cheap (yet broadcast quality) HD camera at the Best Buy of my choice today. Or I could just shot it with my phone (also HD) and cut the footage with freeware. It's great, but to anyone who screamed in frustration at sprockets, it's scary, kids.


The 'I Am Change' project was put together by the Kiwanis club in Hamilton. The participants range from 11 to 18 years old (with a 2 year you sibling in somebody's arms) and it was storyboarded, shot and recorded entirely by the cast. It's worth checking out. Good effort, strong message and kudos to Kiwanis to help it to happen. New times, new syntax. Nicely done.

1 comments:

Patti said...

I sent this post to the leader of the kids who made the video. Thanks for posting it. :)

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008