Saturday, April 09, 2011

G'bye, Sid


"The real rift between Lumet and Kael came on 'a very difficult evening' when the two of them got involved in one of those boring conversations about the function of a critic. 'There were two other people present,' Lumet recalls, 'and she said to them, 'My job is to show him' -- pointing to me -- 'which direction to go in.' I looked at her and said, 'You've got to be kidding.' She said, 'No, I'm not.' I said, 'In other words, you want the creative experience without the creative risk.' And that was it. She's never written a good word about me since."

- From Sidney Lumet - The Reluctant Auteur in American Film, 1982


Fail Safe.

Bye Bye Braverman
(pitch-black and ahead of its time)

The Verdict.

Prince of the City.

The Seagull.
(a noble failure)

The Pawnbroker.

The Hill.

Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Serpico.

Daniel
(the irrelevance of history for the kids left behind)

The Offence.

Dog Day Afternoon.

1921-2011. Rest in Peace.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008