Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The way of the world

And it is 2009. And I now own a house. An old house. I'm too busy working on it or living in it to comment much about it. But if anyone wants to read a treatice on the uses for Polyfilla® in an 85 year old house (including an imaginative application on frozen waffles with thinly sliced ham, clairified butter and swiss cheese) they can contact me directly.

Otherwise, I've got relatively nothing. The Globe and Mail has published a piece about the return of 'lowbrow' food which is code for 'There's a recession! We're freaking out! Get something cheap and tasty! Jell-o will do!' and so on. Around a decade ago it would have been called 'comfort food' without provisos. Kraft Foods is going to have a good year (to the chagrin of some). I'll take a pass. Life is too short to eat fake-cheese macaroni and frozen pizza while calling it good.

Full disclosure: Swipe at the frozen pizza lobby notwithstanding, I have a box of President's Choice Calzone in my downstairs freezer. The roasted red peppers are far better than they have any right to be. They make a fast hot lunch when I'm sick of my own cooking. Mea culpa.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

stop being so full of yourself

Derbecker said...

Need more detail here- Am I supposed to be chastened or irritated? I haven't slept much recently so it's hard to keep up. Do another draft and get back to me.

Knight said...

Hey Anonymous,
Please give me the name of your blog so that I can read all of your words of wisdom and your impartial view of the world. Just want to see how you measure up.

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008