Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Peggy Noonan, Ball Gag, Other Such Tracks...


...means nothing to me, in that order. I'm not a fan of Ms. Noonan, but I'm sure she's not the kind of person to indulge in ball gags. Or if she does, it's done in the presence of a person in a good old fashioned Republican cloth coat. The 'other such tracks' comment is entirely beyond my comprehension.

But somebody out there knows what's what. Those terms were Google searches, people who searched those exact terms before visiting my blog showed up on my page at 8:30pm and 7:00pm. And good for them. Huzzah and all. I mentioned a ball gag here a few months ago, and have quoted Peggy Noonan here and here in the past (in pieces about sin and Mel Gibson, respectively). 'Other such tracks' shows up here and there, exactly why Google found it important to scan I do not know.

TraceMyIp.org provides the weirdest search statistics I've ever seen. Thanks to their readings, I now know that Alice read 2 pages at 2:27pm. That somebody in Hamilton (probably my sister-in-law) read something at 7:45pm, and two unidentified people in Ontario popped in at 11:23am and 7:12pm, one with Rogers, one with Bell. Fine. It's not weird. It's just frighteningly detailed.

None of this matters to me (nor to most people reading this). But the free tracking ability is somehow unnerving, although it really shouldn't be surprising. Every connection has to have a start and finish. Proxies can mess with it, and IP numbers can be spoofed easily enough if you have the knack (I don't), but in general everything can be traced. I just really want to know about that person searching for Peggy and the ball gag. They must have been horribly disappointed upon finding my pages.

And Peg - I'm just goofin' on ya. But be aware that somewhere out there, somebody's looking to take liberties in your direction.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008