Sunday, November 27, 2005

Lack of Sleep, Free Forming...

Example

"You’re a new dad, miserable yet?"
"No. A touch fatigued, but by no means miserable."
"Getting any sleep?"
"Enough to keep alive. An average of 6hrs per night, which is apparently luxury."
"Has he peed on you? On the walls? The change table? The ceiling? The cat? "
"Yes, no, yes, no, no."
"Getting any sleep?"
"Haven’t you asked this? Yes. Around 6hrs per night."
"Any screaming tantrums? And those are from you, I mean?"
"No, but I’m working up to one."
"When’s the Briss?"
"Last I checked I wasn’t Jewish. Nor is my wife. By association, neither is our son."
"Hey, doesn’t hurt to ask. Incidentally, getting any sleep?"
"I’M GETTING PLENTY OF SLEEP, THANKS."
"Yowza. Little touchy, aren’t we?"

Life of a new father. And it's Christmas already. How did it get so late so soon?

Random thoughts. The young master snores gently, swaddled in a blanket, resting on a broad pillow on my lap. It’s dry and cold, mid-November. My son will more-or-less sleep from around 1am at the latest to 8:30am at the latest, with a few squeaks in-between for feedings (‘squeaks’ meaning that he makes some noise, my sleepy wife rolls over to feed him, and he falls back asleep either mid-feed or shortly thereafter).

Example

This puts us both at an average of 6, sometimes a luxurious 7 hours of sleep a night (granted, it doesn’t feel like it), which is close to Statscan normal for sleep in Canada. Here’s to the status quo.

But the sleep your body needs isn’t the sleep your brain needs. Sleep is necessarily thin at the moment, with one ear attuned to any sound out of Matthew. It’s a ‘fast’ sleep if that makes any sense – I will wake up with his feedings for a few seconds and get unconscious a few minutes later rather like turning off a light. And very few dreams. Ususally about my father, in a relatively harmless context these days, with the faint recognition that he’s dead in the background of my sleep. If I dream about going to the movies and see him in the popcorn line, there’s a faint glimmer of “Oh, this must be happening before he died.”

I shouldn’t complain, at least the sleep hours are building up. There have only been a few occasions where Matthew has woken up with an all-out howl, a screechy dry sound that’s scary as hell at 3am. Its usually an unsubtle hint that he needs a feeding or a change, but occasionally it’s longer, higher pitched. A baby screeching when they feed is unnerving.

Example

What does it? An errant air bubble. A touch of acid reflux. A bad dream, in whatever syntax babies dream about. Or literally growing pains, the first few days with the new appendages. Babies can’t quite control their motion, so they’ll wake themselves up by flailing, which upsets them, which means they can’t sleep, which upsets them, which makes them flail, which upsets them, tiring them out but they can’t sleep, and so on. So in all this…yes, we’re sleeping.

Example

For now. All things turn on a dime and change litters the floors in the wake of a baby. A brief homage to Noir fiction there- Saturday was Hembeck’s birthday, I’d asked how old he was and he replied “Just like the ‘steel monster that spits lead’ in Dashiell Hammet stories, I am 45.” I’ll be 45 in 8 years, which seems impassable but the last 6 have pretty much flown by.

I collect movies, and when they are spat out onto DVD I’m beginning to take offence to the dates. There’s a Special Edition of Jumaji (which would be a change of pace, the film itself isn’t too special) on it’s 10th Anniversary and that unnerves me, both the existence of a special edition and the fact it’s 10 years old. Can’t be. No more than 5. That’s the rule. Heathers can’t be 17yrs old. Blade Runner working on 23 yrs and dating relatively well and that's ok, that's identifiably in childhood. But Withnail & I can't be 1986. Must be a typo.

Example

John Lennon everywhere. Yoko Ono is selling the handwritten lyrics to 'Give Peace a Chance' which makes numerous people get warm and runny. And if that gesture is tied into the DVD re-release of Imagine then its just coincidence. No offence to Yoko. Or Lennon. Always liked "So this is Christmas", but I'm getting tired of the beatification of Lennon, especially endless flips clips of the Vigil for Peace in Montreal (it was Montreal, right? I know he camped out in Toronto as well). When faced with the horrors of war in Vietnam and armed with the money that only the Beatles could bring you, he went to bed. In a hotel suite. Now if my knowledge of history is correct (based solely on “The Ballad of John and Yoko,” Lennon fans feel free to comment and call me ill-informed), he already was on his honeymoon where spending a few days in bed is de rigeur.

It’s the reverence around the event that’s getting under my skin by those who regard a long nap as a political statement.

He stood up against the war!”
“A lot of people did. Protests, marches, letter-writing campaigns, legal work on behalf of contentious objectors…”
“Yeah, but he put it on the line!”
“On the bed, actually. He went to bed for a few days as protest.”
“Protest bed!”
“A comfy protest bed? Was there protest room-service? Were any lives of Vietnamese civilians, Viet Cong regulars or American and Australian soldiers spared by individuals saying ‘Hey, we were going out on patrol, but I’ve found out that John and Yoko are doing a bed-in, over in Montreal, and it kinda makes you think…I mean, if stopping the war means so much to the man that he’s going to stay in bed, I mean, really…’”

I understand the broad ramifications of the term vigil, yes. But a catered vigil seems more and more like a photo-op rather than a period of silent meditation, or is it just me? Cindy Sheehan at least camped out at Crawford, Texas in the heat. Sunburn instead of room service. Or is that cynical?

Example

Probably. And Lennon devoted himself to the cause, so I shouldn't quibble over a photo op. For that matter, I loathed Lady Elton revamping “Goodbye Norma Jean” when Princess Diana died, both musically and spiritually: it’s a perfectly time-capsuled 70’s song, revamping it is a bad idea and with saccharine lyrics it’s even worse. That said…he did know the late lady, maybe it’s what she wanted. And the single raised million of dollars/pounds for her pet charities, all of whom needed the money. So, as always, what do I know?

Example

And music creeps up on you. After my snippy comment a few months ago about not wanting to be in a room with people who get misty at a chorus of Alphaville’s ‘Forever Young’, I find myself in a headspace where all I can hear is Alphaville’s ‘Big in Japan’, occasionally seguing into Tom Waits’ ‘Big in Japan’, a very different song both sonically and in mood.

A weird mashup. Waits’ ‘Big in Japan’ is a CD memory with flashes from a Waits concert seen shortly before my wedding, waaaaay back in ’99, all Bourbon and Waits’ weird ballroom mirror hat (must be seen to be believed) with a Chocolate Jesus to sweeten the blows. Alphaville’s version is 1985 or so, Crystal bits of snowflakes all around my head and in the wind, I had no illusions that I’d ever find a glimpse of summer’s heatwaves in her eyes.

And some reader is thinking “And thank YOU for that,” bashing their brain to remove the aforementioned Alphaville.

Example

Noel Coward is right again, it’s amazing the potency of cheap music. Cheap verse. Indirectly back to fil noir. Dennis Potter nailed the sensation in ‘The Singing Detective’ and ‘Pennies from Heaven,’ in a dark sort of way. If you can find the ‘Pennies from Heaven’ novel, you’ll be amazed that both the UK version and the glorious-and-horrible US version adhere frighteningly close to the source material in mood.

Backup. Cheap music and power. Pete Townsend was discussing Abba in the early 80’s and said "I remember hearing 'S.O.S.' on the radio in the States and realizing that it was Abba. But it was too late, because I was already transported by it.” The Pete Townsend of 1982 wasn’t the Townsend who sold Tommy to broadway, and to date I don’t think that Quadraphonea and Mamma Mia fans would appreciate being in the same room. But he had a point- music will take you (often dragged, kicking and screaming) someplace.

Object lesson- a disc of old MP3’s. The disc must be 6 years old if it’s a day, I don’t remember why I packed on most of the content. One song comes on – 'That’s All I Have to Say', by Art Garfunkel. Already, horribly uncool. It was used in the original, inexplicably culty film of 'The last Unicorn,' and its on the same early 80’s disc with 'Bright Eyes', from the slightly more explicably culty 'Watership Down' (there are very few vicious bunny cult films).

Example

'Bright Eyes' will make anyone weep, whether they’re aware of 'Watership Down’s' beaten-up bunnies or not (seen it recently? sentimental but rather dark little flick…), the most notorious hardcore mohawked punk that I knew in high school would mist up if you hummed it, shortly before attempting to stomp you within an inch of your life (it was still worth doing it for the look on his face).

But…another story. 'That’s All I have to Say' boils down to lyrics like this:

“I’ve had time
To write a book about
The way we act and love
But I haven’t got a paragraph
Words are always getting in my way
Anyway, I love you
That’s all I have to tell you
That’s all I have to say…”

Etc. Cole Porter it ain’t. But sort of pretty in an overiced birthday cake sort of way. In his autobiography, Joe Jackson (a man not known for sentiment) wrote that “the Russians were never afraid of sentimentality, they figured it was at least half way to sincerity,” and he was discussing Prokoviev rather than Art Garfunkel, but the same tone grudging respect slips in. Some things slip under the wire.

So that’s probably why I copied the track- sort of sweet. A nice voice. Not too sweet. I helped a friend get rid of a box of CD’s that had belonged to her parents and she couldn’t get the used CD’s places to take (there was a lot of Celine Dion and Air Supply and Phil Collins which I took great delight in flinging against a wall - very few of them shattered), protecting the world’s diabetics from more treacle.

And full disclosure…I did keep Collin’s ‘Face Dances’, because of Joe Jackson’s defense of things sentimental. 'In the Air Tonight', 'The Roof is Leaking' and 'You Know What I Mean' are halfway there, or were at least halfway there when I first heard them, at 13 or so. Sometimes you can get that transport to a not-bad place, or at least something enough in context that you can say “Loved this tune when I was 13” with a half smile rather than a cringe.

Or sometimes the half-smile and the cringe at one time- my friend Jon (in grade 10 at the time, all of perhaps 15), wearing one of those black t-shirts that looks like a tuxedo jacket, muttering contemptuously that Collins’ 'This Must Be Love' struck him as “Such a grade 8 slow dance song.” Now, that’s funny. We didn’t always speak the same language, but I always liked Jon.

The reader thinks, “Sort of sweet is fine, but why save it? There’s lots of sort-of-sweet around.”

Example

Yeah. Lets assume that 'All I Have to Say' got under the radar the first time I heard it, probably from a record belonging to some buddy’s older brother. I had been listening to a lot of the bands that wouldn’t get me chuckled at in later years (or at least chuckled at in a different tone- the Stranglers, Cure, the Doors, Springsteen’s Nebraska, Tom Waits’ ‘Rain Dogs’), but why does Art Garfunkel’s tune win out?

And on a Friday morning years later I hear it on a disc of random mp3’s (very random- everything from Billy Connelly riffs to Lou Reed concerts and Dylan bootlegs) and, thank you Mr. Townsend, I get transported. Those lyrics were transcribed in the haze of teenage affection on a birthday card to a not-quite-girlfriend, delivered with a small white Gund teddy bear, at 17 or so (me), 14 or so (her, and if we could skip the jailbait jokes, I’d appreciate it). Met with a hug and a gentle kiss and the shape of her in that hug burned in. A millisecond by millisecond summation. My arms are around you. We fit together. I know the shape of you. I could rest here and be happy.

Another story. Good memories but inert- left in a box in the back of my brain, pushed aside due to everything else happening in the, oh, almost 20 years…and brought back in living colour on a Friday morning in weird detail. The soft texture of her sweatshirt, my hands on her lower back (cotton, dried on a clothesline in her backyard, a bit rough to the touch), the scent of her shampoo (Johnson and Johnson’s Baby Shampoo, and again, please spare the jailbait jokes). All from a tune.

So, here’s to Townsend. And Garfunkel. Flashes of a pleasant past. The next tracks on the disc don’t have the same quality, which is fine- who could live with flashbacks every 5 seconds? I have enough negative flashbacks daily- worth savouring the good ones.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008